|Project by milbert||posted 12-23-2012 12:56 AM||1928 views||6 times favorited||5 comments|
I recently got into turning and this is my first “real” project. I decided to make some screwdriver handles as a Christmas present for my Dad! I used shanks and ferrules from Lee Valley.
Due to time I was only able to finish the largest two sizes for each type, but I will finish the others soon. The handles are made from Bubinga and turned out beautiful! I used this guide to point myself in the right direction. The handles turned out pretty consistent in overall size although it took me a few tries to start getting consistency on the shape of the handle. The handles were sanded up to 600 grit and finished with a few coats of lacquer (hopefully this will last a while). Overall, I am very happy with how they turned out.
One picture shows where relief cuts that were made for the shank “wings”. After each shank and handle was dry fit (very snug) I applied a small amount of epoxy to both the shaft and the ferrule before assembling permanently.
The last picture is the measurement template for each handle that I laid out according to the guide. One tip I found particularly helpful with this project was to use millimeters for all the measurements. I have never used metric in woodworking before but when dealing with objects this small is is much easier to use whole numbers instead of fractions.
Please feel free to leave me some feedback on how I can improve! I definitely have the turning bug and want to take on some more projects. I hope my Dad enjoys them!