or Join Now!
Walnut, Maple, and Padauk coated in Mineral Oil.
-- Tim Harrelson
home | projects | blog
195 posts in 1541 days
Preview this project card
114914 posts in 2876 days
#1 posted 12-21-2012 08:19 PM
-- http://artisticwoodstudio.com Custom furniture
440 posts in 1417 days
#2 posted 12-22-2012 04:31 AM
Love the bread board end/leg pieces, would you mind sharing your method of attaching them ?
-- Everyone calls me Ed or Eddie , mom still calls me Edward if she is mad at me.
33 posts in 1323 days
#3 posted 12-22-2012 10:23 PM
I’m with Ed, the legs look fantastic, not out to glomb ideas but how did you attach em?
-- Half-assed and whole-hearted, Kenny
#4 posted 12-28-2012 02:41 PM
EDWARD??? :) I remember the days of Mom’s sternness….now at 83 and with my taking care of her – “fix this for me” and going to doctor’s appts, she’s more smiles…..Well…time to come clean….the legs were added because of a screw up. As I laminated the pieces of the board together using the 4 Jet cabinet clamps, 2 of the clamps were hanging off of the table on the long end and sitting a little low; so, when the board was dried, it had a 1/8” twist in it from end to end. Solution, add legs. I cut 2 pieces of Padauk about 1×2.5×12 and cut a rabbet on the top of each. Then I did a little layout on the side of the leg using a french curve to get the lines I was looking for. I cut one out, sanded, and trued it up. When I got it like I wanted, I traced it to the other one, cut it out, and sanded. Then I put a 1/4” round over all around to soften all edges. Then the glue up. I kept cutting and increasing the depth of the rabbet until it was the depth of the thickness of the board so when the board was glued to the leg, it was a smooth fit. The only sanding was touch up. I was thinking the addition of legs may just take the twist out of the board. Only minimally. So I went to the flat surface – my table saw and used the ROS on the bottom of two legs and tested, and again and again until it was level….well, I guess not exactly level but it didn’t wobble anymore. I haven’t tried liquids on it but my guess is if there is juice, it will run towards and off of one corner. Oh well…. The glue was Titebond Green. I am a little concerned about the Padauk because it has fairly large pores…like oak but worse. In the future, I may look toward more maple and walnut and maybe throw in some cherry. Thanks for looking and asking! Happy New Year!Tim
#5 posted 12-29-2012 04:10 AM
Tim ,thank you for such a thoughtful response and for the details on the ends of your beautiful board. Nobody can see the minor imperfections more than the artist who creates it and there really is no such thing as a mistake it is mearly a midstream design change. I look forward to seeing your projects and best wishes to you and yours.
#6 posted 01-01-2013 03:40 PM
Thanks Eddie…I hope all of you have a year that’s at least twice a good as last year!
1001 posts in 1145 days
#7 posted 05-08-2013 02:02 PM
Beautiful and love legs. In the process of making my first two cutting boards and have a bit of wobble which I hope to take out while sanding. Good to see another great option exists. Thanks for sharing…
Go to Pulse page »
©2016 Verticalscope Inc. All Rights Reserved. |
Terms of Service
DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.
Latest Projects |
Latest Blog Entries |
Latest Forum Topics