|Project by GCM||posted 12-18-2012 08:13 AM||1162 views||2 times favorited||5 comments|
My first chair – based on the Ana White Classic Chairs Made Simple design.
Because I knew didn’t know WTF I was doing I made it out of 2×4s, damaged material bought cheap from Bunnings, and reclaimed pine from an old potting bench (great stuff!). It turned out quite well despite the fact that there is a major dimensional error on the plan. The seat is meant to have a foam rubber upholstered seat but I can’t find the foam rubber ANYWHERE it seems to have disappeared of the face of the planet. I finished it with what I thought was a clear acrylic varnish bought cheaply from Aldi’s – and you can see it wasn’t clear – it took three coats to get anywhere near an even cover – and I reckon would have taken about six more to get it really right. Anyway I learnt a lot from it – but I really need to find out how to carve the indents into the seat seeing it doesn’t look like I’ll be able to upholster them when I come to do the proper lot. As I don’t have a jointer I jointed the seat boards on the router table using the outfeed offset trick – that worked really well.
-- Make things as simple as possible, but no simpler.