|Project by Jordan||posted 12-17-2012 04:39 AM||1604 views||2 times favorited||5 comments|
These are some adirondack chairs that my wife and I built for my parents as a thank you gift. They made tremendous contributions to our wedding this fall, helped with moving into our new house and so many other things that have made our live a little bit easier. In fact my dad even had to help with the final assembly of the chairs since I needed a second pair of hands! I lost the pictures I took of the chairs after I stained them and they are at my parents house now so all you get is the unfinished pictures.
The plans are based off of the start woodworking plans . I didn’t feel like buying their full-sized plans was a good idea and it looked like there was enough dimensions on their plans to redesign it in sketchup.
I remodeled the plans in sketchup, here is the link to the model. The unattached pieces are the rear arm support, one on each side. The longer piece is the back rest, 7 total. The back rest pieces get tapered down from 2” on the top, to 1 3/4” on the bottom, 1/8” on each side. The arm rest, the front arm support and the top of the back rests get curves cut to your preference. Fixing the pieces together is up to you, I followed the general plans from the website.
To build the project I purchased 5/4” x 6” x 8’ S4S Cedar from my local HD. At the time I didn’t have a planer, however I do now, and would purchase a larger width S3S plank and save on time, material and reduce waste. The first step was laying out templates on 1/4” hardboard. This was completed with my bandsaw, jigsaw and drum sander attachment on the drill press. The cedar was cut to size and all of the curved pieces were patterned with a flush trim bit. I then had to build two jigs and a router table to complete the rest of the work. First was an edge guide for the router to cut dados. Then I built a tapering jig for the table saw using my new dado jig. The back rest pieces were tapered as described above. I built a router table-top and set it up on 2- 2”x4” on some saw horses; completing the cabinet will be my first project in the new-year. I put a 3/8” round-over on all of the edges that are exposed to touch, the table made quick work of this. Then began the sanding. All of the rounded edges had to be hand sanded, my wife helped out a ton on this part of the work! All of the countersunk holes were then drilled and the chairs assembled prior to finishing. The assembly of these chairs were far more challenging than expected as much of the hardware was installed to suit the sizes. My dad came over the help me build them after I let the cat out of the bag on what it was. After dry assembly and fixing some mistakes I disassembled the chairs and stained them with some Behr exterior cedar stain. Reassembly was a breeze and I delivered the finished product last week. They were very happy with the end product.
Some recommendations for others looking to build these chairs. The width of these chairs fit me comfortably ( 6’0”, 200 lbs) however may need to be widened for others. They are also very low to the ground, you may want to adjust the pitch of the legs if you have mobility issues. Finally, while the round overs on the pieces are very comfortable, sanding them was a huge effort, one that I won’t pursue again. If I built these chairs again I will be putting an 1/8” chamfer on all of the edges.
-- Jordan, BC