|Project by wunderaa||posted 12-16-2012 10:27 PM||2209 views||2 times favorited||15 comments|
So the story here is that my brother has this kitchen island that I’m pretty sure was purchased from Walmart about a year or two ago. The last time I was at his house, I noted that the top had started to split because it was made so poorly. When he wasn’t around, I took measurements of the top and the flip up side extension and went about making a much much nicer replacement. My brother was quite surprised by the delivery and subsequent installation!
The main top is made from laminated strips of maple, African mahogany, pecan, and Honduran mahogany.
The flip up cutting board was made from bloodwood, African mahogany, maple, and purple heart. For the cutting board, I started with random lengths and widths of boards and cut blocks that were about 1.5” in thickness. I laid them out in the pattern shown in the picture so that the board was striped with end-grain up. A quick sanding on a reference-flat surface ensured that each piece would sit flush with its neighbors. After a glue-up, I ripped that long-ways and flipped the pieces to get the final pattern. I cut a hole in the unit so that a trash can under the board can catch the scraps.
Both are finished in beeswax and mineral oil.
Main top: 1.5×20x28”
Cutting board: 1.5×20x13”