|Project by ChuckV||posted 360 days ago||815 views||1 time favorited||18 comments|
I built this coffee table from a Woodsmith plan. This was my first experience with cabriole legs. I’m glad that I had some plans for this learning experience. Also, since the rest of this project is fairly simple, I was able to concentrate my time on making the legs. It was also a good lesson on the use of files and rasps.
I made the table from cherry and finished it with Danish oil, de-waxed shellac and satin finish polyurethane.
The two photos below are a “dog’s and drunk’s view” of the underside of the table.
The first shows one of the table top fasteners that I bought from Rockler. This is the first time that I’ve tried this method. It works great for a lightweight table like this. The next photo shows the date (12-12-12) and the mysterious squares made of bloodwood, black walnut and maple.
These photos show the markings on the leg blanks with transition blocks before cutting.
We enjoyed the cutoffs from the legs.
-- "And up on the hill, there's an old sheep that's dying/But it had two new lambs born just a fortnight before." - I. Anderson