|Project by lumberjoe||posted 12-15-2012 12:48 AM||1005 views||0 times favorited||6 comments|
Here is my second attempt at an end grain board. This is maple, cherry and walnut. I didn’t put much thought into a pastern as these were scraps left over from previous boards. I did much better at lining up the stripes. The cherry is a different width than the maple and walnut so I tried to keep it all together. For some reason it sill would not line up perfectly. The pieces almost look like they are not completely square. My only explanation is the geometry changed during planing after the initial long grain glue-up. I will have to be more careful of that in the future.
This glue-up was not as good as my first. I finally got some good use out of my router plane and the first time I used the 1 1/2” whiteside straight bit. That thing is a little scary, but made quick work of the planing.
I had to use finger holes in this although I don’t like to. One of the pieces of cherry had a huge knot. My solution was to put it on the end and route it out – which I did. I should have gone a bit deeper though and I may take the router to it again before the boss starts chopping on it. Also I just noticed in the last picture that I still have some sanding to do. Looks like the mark from the router edge guide shows up under a flash.
-- Unplugged Woodworkers - https://www.facebook.com/groups/213418935481974/