|Project by jfk4032||posted 12-14-2012 08:22 PM||1973 views||7 times favorited||14 comments|
Well, I must have sat so far in the back of the LJ classroom that I was in a different building. I started to cut this piece in the Spring when KoryK’s class had started and then various delays with the expansion of my workshop and getting sidetracked into starting up my lathe kept me from finishing this intarsia piece sooner. Over this past week while waiting for a new bandsaw to arrive, I went back to the frog, and I began to tweak the fit with some of the pieces, shape, sand and sand some more and finally finish, assemble and glue to the backer. Thanks again to KoryK for taking the time to produce and upload this intarsia frog project.
I used poplar and sycamore for the frog body, ebony, holly and redheart for the eyes and mahagony for the branch. I learned a lot with this piece and because I can be such a perfectionist I wound up cutting 5 or 6 pieces over…one of them three times! Although not perfect, I am still very happy with how it turned out. I’ll now have to start splitting time between intarsia and wood turning, as I really like both areas of woodworking.
For those of you considering trying intarsia, look through KoryK’s class and if you have the desire, a little bit of patience, you can achieve some great results with little or no experience as I did.
-- ---Joel; Central MD...rookie empter nester and getting back into woodworking!