CB Cheese Boards

  • Advertise with us
Project by robscastle posted 12-14-2012 08:37 AM 1566 views 3 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch

The Cheese Board Project was a prompted after reading about them, and there is quite a lot of information available about their production posted.
Added with all the ongoing comments posted be it details or just comments back and discussion of various methods,:

I had some suitable timber available so I laminated Huon Pine and Merbau/Tallow wood to make the bases.
I then ripped strips from a section of silky oak on my table saw to use as the internal borders.
Then set to work with the band saw and sectioned them
The project ran over three days part time mainly due to the glue up times required.
I used Titebond III and sash clamps to glue the sections all together.
Upon allowing them to dry, I then used an orbital sander to remove glue and excess Silky Oak strip.
Then repeated the process over again.
Once they were all complete I sanded everything again, starting with 40 grit 80 120 and finishing with 320 grit
Drilled a 25mm thumb hole 45 deg the corners and used a 6mm round over bit on the top face.

I chose to call them Cheese boards as opposed to cutting boards as I dont believe the two timbers and the thickness would sustain cutting and chopping.

Finishing with a liberal coat of LLWW secret formula oil produced the image in the photos.

Credits: The project was not completed without the assistance of the LJs who have made and posted similar projects of which inspired me to “have a go ya mug” (an Australian saying for those unfamiliar with the lingo!!)

Just some by name:- Larry and David (Degoose and Patron) bloging about these type of boards and the virtues of how to make them.
Poroskywood for the detailed step guide blog
Scott R Turner for the examples posted.

Then there are many added comments to guide you in Just what method you want to use.

I used exactly the same method as Scott R Turner pictorially displayed in his blog on the LJ website.
P.S. All the materials used was from recycled stock, hence the plugs visible in the Merbau timber.

Thanks Everybody it made a difference.

I just noticed that I had not included the finished oiled picture or the border picture, both now uploaded.
Its amazing just how many projects have been added in the 12 hours from the original post, at first I thought it had been deleted.
Now the story and pictures make sense

Up date:

On my visit to Sydney Apr 2014 Vanessa showed me her board, it had failed at the glue joint, ( see finger) indicating a lack of glue.

I re glued it and then re sanded it , due to a slight bow present I removed about 1.6mm of material to try and reduce the effect.

-- Regards Rob

5 comments so far

View Monte Pittman's profile

Monte Pittman

30064 posts in 2541 days

#1 posted 12-14-2012 09:34 AM

Very cool looking

-- Nature created it, I just assemble it.

View degoose's profile


7245 posts in 3558 days

#2 posted 12-14-2012 12:26 PM

The old cut and switch…. works every time…

-- Don't drink and use power tools @

View Ken90712's profile


17594 posts in 3392 days

#3 posted 12-14-2012 05:22 PM

Nice work, looking good!

-- Ken, "Everyday above ground is a good day!"

View DavidIN's profile


81 posts in 2191 days

#4 posted 12-16-2012 03:55 AM

Nice design

View Josh's profile


1234 posts in 2772 days

#5 posted 03-22-2013 06:59 PM

That is awesome! Ha! I love the contrast.

-- Tree, wood, and box lover from Pennsylvania

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics