|Project by BadDavid||posted 12-13-2012 02:25 PM||952 views||0 times favorited||2 comments|
As the saying goes, you first make a test piece to build off of. And as it is xmas time around here and I have been making stuff for folks and thought since my company has a $10 limit I made this. The goal was to keep within the dollar amount and practice for one I want to make for some one else. And since that person who is next in line may read this I omit whom on purpose.
I made this out of oak flooring material and aspen wood coated with a black cherry stain. It is for my companies white elephant present exchange I am hoping to make some one happy.
Character enhancements (aka boo boos ) to write a few
1. The top is 1/16 off from being flush, this is due to not routing the hinge close enough. I followed a suggestion I read on someones else’s blog but I should have measured three times.
2. The stain did not take evenly… not sure but maybe it was due to my sanding (150,220,320) ?
3. The inlays are a little off this was due to choosing the wrong offset. I used a 17mm for the first cut and should have double checked the insert (should have used the 24mm).
4. The hinge screws attaching the top are not flush. They were hand done, when I can afford it should buy one of those bits for drilling hinge screws (another suggestion I read).
5. The felt is a little off, due to not waiting long enough to set up.
-- BD, where bad wood finds a home. Va