|Project by Matt||posted 12-12-2012 12:08 PM||1029 views||1 time favorited||4 comments|
This post is not to brag on woodworking- the plaques are simply three pieces of wood joined together- a simple feat. It’s not to show off shapes, I can tell you on four and half fingers how easy the routing was… It’s not to show off carving letters. OK, I had those laser engraved. No, this post is to say thank you. For years the art of fine finishing has kicked my rear. I have read many of my fellow Lumber Jocks posts on the subject. I have posted several questions- folks have never failed to provide sound advice. Finally I tried three different techniques and was simply astounded at how these pieces turned out. Thank you.
If you are still reading and can provide critique, please do so! If there are steps I can omit or do smarter, please advise… I’m sure this is old hat to some of the old hands, but I feel like I just discovered El Dorado.
The red oak, after careful joining, gluing, and planing, was sanded to 320 grit. Mixed up 25% BLO, 25% Varnish, and 50% Mineral Spirits.
Day 1: Kept them awash for 30 minutes, never letting an area dry. After 30 minutes, I wiped up the excess and then policed it for weeping. (Obviously, brown dye was added to the solution for the borders.
Day 2: Repeated Day 1.
Day 3: Brushed on, wet sanded with 320 grit. Wiped off excess against the grain.
Day 4: Same- used 600 Grit.
Day 5: Same- used 800 Grit.
Day 6: Wipe on- wipe off Daniel-son.
After a week of cure, I brushed on two coats of poly, sanded to 600, wiped on another and took it up to 1500 grit. Finalized with 3M Swirl Remover, Glaze, then two coats of Carnuba. I have never had end grain ‘pop’ this way. Again, thank you. Lumber Jocks is quite easily the best web site I have ever joined.
Lumber Jocks Rocks!