|Project by ralbuck||posted 12-10-2012 12:49 AM||1117 views||2 times favorited||6 comments|
Made from mostly scrap. I do not pattern any of the engine, tender, or caboose. They seem to always want to make themselves. I do either buy or rip 1 by 2 for the car bases. They call it firring strips and it is very cheap.
I cut rectangles of cardboard/heavy paper and then cut the letters with a scissors. Use red to draw around them for easy visibility while cutting. I have found the blade a lot easier to see against a red line, than against a black one.
The letters are usually made from scrap 1/2+ plywood. I drill holes up from the bottom and glue/peg them for assembly to the pre-drilled/sanded bases. I cut dowel rod and am careful on drilling depth/angle, etc.
I very seldom use the same lettering style on different trains. They always want to be individual.
I know it sounds off the wall; but I do not know what it will look like when I start!
Still are fun.
I have a jig made for drilling the axel holes. Because I use a hole saw for the wheels; the center holes are smaller than the 3/8 dowel that I use for axels. I made a jig to hold the wheels while I enlarge the center holes. I use the larger dowel because kids were twisting the 1/4” ones apart.
I thought that a few in process pictures makes it easier to understand. They are more work than most people realize.
A trick I use on all of my wheel toys is to wax the axel before the last wheel is glued on. I then cheat and run them on the belt sander after assembly.
I use candle stubs;white preferred—(no color tracks on anything); beeswax if I can—- I also use it on drill bits blades and even the scroll saw tables.
Anyone wanting help or (patterns) for some of these; I will happily assist in anyway I can.
-- just rjR