|Project by Ted78||posted 12-04-2012 11:20 AM||834 views||0 times favorited||4 comments|
X-wife wanted a table to put her bird cage on. I made a cruder one for the same purpose about five years ago that involved my first attempt at mortise and tenon construction. My attempt here reminds me I still have a lot to learn. Second pic shows the ugly gap in first mortise and tenon cut, third pic is proof that I can improve, and last pic is a reminder to double check measurements. Turns out whether the pencil line signifies the bottom or the top of where the rail enters the leg is important. Next time I’ll take the half a second to mark both.
This one involves my first attempt at tapered legs. Tried a table saw jig, but poor little saw wasn’t up to it so I cut the tapers on the band saw and jointed them flat.
the frame is oak scraps, some to the legs are pieced together, the top is pine, because that’s what I had, I used a much darker stain on the top then the legs because I didn’t want it to look like I was trying to ‘match’ them. I think I may have failed in this regard. If I were to do it again the top would be much darker. I also didn’t measure my pine boards before I built the legs and rails so the overhang of the top is smaller than I would like.
Questions,comments, critiques, and smart remarks welcome.