|Project by C_Philhower||posted 12-04-2012 02:43 AM||4382 views||3 times favorited||4 comments|
Being a new father really keeps you busy. So busy that I’m just getting around to posting this and we recently celebrated my daughter’s first birthday. While we were expexting, my wife and I discussed building a built in dresser / changing table cabinet system, but the room was already small enough and we didn’t want to make it smaller by taking 2 feet out of it. The before picture was taken when we first bought the house and it hadn’t changed much except for replacing the terrible sliding mirrored doors that never managed to stay on the track.
We figured out the height of the wainscoting with the very technical method of me marking the wall while my wife held her hand “This high” which was almost exactly four feet off the floor. I came up with a sketch, the made a full scale drawing on the wall and tweaked a few things then made my way down to the garage. I learned a lot on my last bead board installations and I didn’t like how it went because I had to. go back and fix a lot of nail holes and it just looked sloppy.
This time I decided to make most of the wainscoting in the garage and bring it in through the front as panels with the idea being to hide most of the connections. The whole room took 3 4’x8’ sheets of 3/4” MDF and 6 sheets of beadboard. It was a fun but heavy process to go through, and I got the chance to learn from a whole new set of mistakes ( like not using the impact driver to set pocket screws in MDF). I was really happy with how it all turned out after it all soaked up about a gallon of paint and most of all, my wife was happy and I was done in time to get all the baby furniture in the room before the delivery date. By the end of it all the only thing that wasn’t replaced in the room was the window and the ceiling fan. Thanks for looking.
-- If you would not be forgotten, As soon as you are dead and rotten, Either write things worthy reading, Or do things worth the writing. -Ben Franklin