|Project by hairy||posted 12-03-2012 03:50 PM||1579 views||4 times favorited||11 comments|
I had a little piece of walnut that had some nice curl in it. It was just right for this. All I did to it was round the edges to make it user friendly, I wanted to make sure the tree wasn’t top heavy.
Thanks for all the good advice when I was working on this. I went with epoxy to hold it together. I just washed the antlers in Dawn, waxed and buffed, I like the results.
Antler is not what I was expecting, as far as working it. Denser than I imagined, I was thinking it would be porous. I would advise wearing a particle mask. The challenge to me was to hold it in something other than my hand while I worked it. I wrapped it with toilet paper, then wrapped that with blue tape. I cut the tape open so I could take it off and put it back on easily.
5” x 6” x 11” tall. Walnut with Formby’s tung oil finish.
-- on Wednesday's I go shopping, and have buttered scones for tea...