|Project by drumpriest||posted 05-10-2008 09:28 AM||1719 views||2 times favorited||11 comments|
This is a little cabinet to hang on the wall of my back bathroom. The man-bathroom. I’ll eventually need to build a new built-in vanity for that one, so I’ll do it to match. I am letting the finish flash some more before I hang this one. I also have yet to pick a hardware scheme for that room, thus no handles.
It’s cherry ply that has been edge banded with 1/8” solid cherry strips. The doors are made of solid cherry, mortised and tenon’d together, with quarter matched walnut burl veneer panels. First time I’d used commercial burl veneer, and it shows. The stuff is a bit of a pain. I don’t have a great match on the left door panel, but the right is pretty good. I should have used a filler before finishing this stuff, but I don’t really mind it with the variations. No mechanical fasteners but for the hinge screws, all mortise and tenon and glue. It’ll hang off of the French cleat in the back.
One interesting bit is that I made this from scraps from the wine rack project.
The one stile has a big knot that went the whole way through. I was cheap and used the Epoxy that I had on hand to fill it…Bad idea…I should have gone for some 5 minute epoxy. It took 2 weeks to dry enough to work the piece, and it is still a little tacky to the touch.
The hinges are slow close ones from blum, like those a lot, got em on sale at Rockler a couple of months ago for 11$ a pair. The finish is Seal-a-cell and Arm-r-seal.
Let me know what you all think. I’ll put up more pics as I get it installed and hardware mounted, etc… Also once the vanity is done, but that’ll be in a couple of months probably….
All in all a good learning experience. Whole thing cost me about 30$ as mostly it was scraps, and I got to use my new vac-u-press compact 100, which was really fun.
-- Keith Z. Leonard, drums first, wood second....