|Project by peterrum||posted 11-30-2012 06:07 PM||1074 views||1 time favorited||4 comments|
The first is a fir burl bowl that was a real wonky, gnarly, weathered piece to start. It took me a few times of looking at the raw piece before I came up with this final product. I cut the burl into a 19” diameter round to start out. I then made a template for the bowl portions that would work with the wood. I then chunked the large parts of the bowl with a 1” forstener bit and fine tuned it with the CMT bowl bit on my router. The bowl portions are about 1 3/4 inches deep, rounded over, sanded multiple times then finished with 2 coats of 1lb. shellac and 4 coats of poly. I was very happy with the tight wavy grain and final style of this rustic looking bowl.
The next piece is turned from a very rare piece of yellow cedar birdseye burl. This is an extremely resinous wood which required presealing before the topcoat of poly was applied. This turning was really a bit of practice for 3 larger pieces of this wood that I have. It turns quite nicely. Considering this is the 6th bowl I have turned, a beginner really, I am happy with the results but there is room for improvement.
-- Carpe Diem