LumberJocks

Benchtop Thickness Sander

  • Advertise with us
Project by Andreas posted 505 days ago 5379 views 37 times favorited 26 comments Add to Favorites Watch

I built this benchtop thickness sander over the weekend. It has a 16” bed and a removable dust hood, which also serves to keep my fingers away from the action. The best part is that I was able to scavenge most of the parts. I only had to buy the bearings for a total of $20!

I plan to add a safety guard to cover the belt and I’d also like to convert the drum to a hook and loop system (I’m using carpet tape for now).

It works really well and leaves a very even surface on thin panels.





26 comments so far

View Von's profile

Von

167 posts in 713 days


#1 posted 505 days ago

looks good. I’m waiting on a pair of pillowblock bearings to build myself a similar unit.

View jap's profile

jap

1218 posts in 554 days


#2 posted 505 days ago

very nice

-- Joel

View Oldtool's profile

Oldtool

1556 posts in 690 days


#3 posted 505 days ago

Came out very nice. If it works, the project is a success. Enjoy your new machine.

-- "I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The point is to bring them the real facts." - Abraham Lincoln

View HillbillyShooter's profile

HillbillyShooter

3845 posts in 792 days


#4 posted 505 days ago

Cool. Very nicely done, but get that belt guard on ASAP. Also, you might consider putting a cover on that switch to keep the dust out. Otherwise, great job and I admire your ingenuity!

-- John C. -- "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth." George Washington

View Alexandre's profile

Alexandre

1417 posts in 691 days


#5 posted 505 days ago

von, I have a set of pillowblock bearings… made in US. However, sorry but im not selling them :P

-- My terrible signature...

View exelectrician's profile

exelectrician

1353 posts in 927 days


#6 posted 505 days ago

Andreas – You woodworking skills far exceed mine. However I must point out little fingers can get through the gaps on that switch without a cover and the results could be …...... ???

Also NO guard on the belt – I am speechless at your carelessness . Your other projects are so clever and beautifully done and now this.

-- Love thy neighbour as thyself

View foneman's profile

foneman

111 posts in 2594 days


#7 posted 505 days ago

That looks great and I really like the fact that it is a benchtop unit!!! You did a good job!

View Andreas's profile

Andreas

41 posts in 949 days


#8 posted 505 days ago

Yeah, I’ll definitely make a guard to cover that belt. That’s my project for next weekend :)
I also plan on putting a faceplate over the switch. I didn’t have one that fit properly so I have to go out and buy one.

View mloy365's profile

mloy365

404 posts in 1630 days


#9 posted 505 days ago

This is just real good stuff!

-- Mike - Northern Upper Michigan

View whitewulf's profile

whitewulf

422 posts in 1436 days


#10 posted 505 days ago

Andreas –

Mortise & tenon frame, Turned pulley & height adj. knob !!

KUDOS

-- "ButI'mMuchBetterNow"

View doordude's profile

doordude

1070 posts in 1482 days


#11 posted 505 days ago

nice job and saved some money too

View majuvla's profile

majuvla

2891 posts in 1367 days


#12 posted 504 days ago

Awsome project for one weekend!

-- Ivan, Croatia, Wooddicted

View SuperCubber's profile

SuperCubber

202 posts in 784 days


#13 posted 504 days ago

I love it! Is it a repurposed motor? If not, can you give me some details on it? I’ve been wanting to build something similar, but have no idea what to use for a motor. Thanks!

View StumpyNubs's profile

StumpyNubs

5967 posts in 1300 days


#14 posted 504 days ago

I’m liking it! What do you mean you use carpet tape for the drum? You mean you wrap double sided carpet tape around it and then the sand paper? It looks like the end of the sandpaper is tucked into a slit on the end of the drum. Right?

-- It's the best woodworking show since the invention of wood... New episodes at: http://www.stumpynubs.com

View Andreas's profile

Andreas

41 posts in 949 days


#15 posted 504 days ago

Supercubber: it is a 1/2 hp repurposed blower motor. 1/2 hp seems sufficient for this sander but I would probably use 3/4 hp if you had a wider drum.

StumpyNubs: There is a small slit on both ends of the drum where I tuck the ends of the sand paper. I also put a strip (about 4”) of double sided tape in front of the slit to keep the paper from popping out when the drum is spinning. The rest of the drum has no tape. This works well enough, but it isn’t ideal. The sand paper tends to bunch up on the tape if I haven’t wrapped the paper tightly enough.

showing 1 through 15 of 26 comments

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase