|Project by Douglas Bordner||posted 11-27-2012 05:47 AM||1231 views||0 times favorited||12 comments|
Having jumped back into some turning, and working with some nicely figured Maple turning stock, I thought I would scratch an itch to emulate our brother Lumberjock Trifern in the most modest and halting of fashions. I got some cold water soluble fabric dyes at the local Blick™ art supply and utilized a jug of yellow NGR dye concentrate (Mohawk) to step into the world of color.
Clear coat is Myland High Build Friction polish rather than Mini-Wax Poly, which may account for a lessened degree of depth of the “look-down” into the swirl of color and grain.
I’m taking baby steps (obviously!) and I took a header with an earlier shot at it. This one had black, marine lavender, fuchsia and yellow with not enough sanding and a nasty application of cold thick cellulose sanding sealer. Somehow I managed to kill the chatoyance of the tiger maple thoroughly with that go-round, so the whole surface had to come off…
In choosing to use a alcohol based finish with the final NGR stain, there was some loss of yellow with the application of the clear coat, but I continued to build color back with the finish and more stain as I glazed more coats on. Additionally the alcohol in the stain made a french polish effect with the ragged on mixture, there is no additional abrasive treatment after the last finish/dye pass.
2.75” x 3.325”, lumen 2” x 2.323” Turned on the Beall Treen Mandrel.
The Lid is still out on the saw table locked up in a block, waiting for the right parts to be removed; and will post separately.
It’s a variant on Joe’s award winning technique and teaching points, and just a start, but I have to thank you, Trifern, for your glorious work and patient sharing.
-- "Bordnerizing" perfectly good lumber for over a decade.