|Project by derosa||posted 11-24-2012 10:57 PM||1758 views||11 times favorited||13 comments|
My daughter has disavowed anything to do with real high chairs or booster seats choosing instead to stand at the table so my wife pointed to this chair on Amazon and said “make her one of those”. Clutching a load of cherry and my orders I went to it.
Having never seen one of the beasts in public I made up all the dimensions.
First thing was deciding on a random angle of 60* for the set back, another person on here suggested 73 as the best angle but I already had the legs glued at that point so 60 worked for me.
I laminated 2 boards together overlapping them at the bottom to make for a strong glue up.
For the slides for the seat and footrest I originally tried using the router but discovered that my table is worse then Ithough, I couldn’t stop the legs from moving along the mitre gauge and consistant spacing per side impossible coming from different angles. I discovered that it was easy to do with the table saw since the lines would always be perpendicular to the bottom if I slid the bottom against the fence. I had hoped for rounded over sides to the seat and footrest figuring that would grip tighter but flat sides it is. I also set the dado blade wider to compensate for the screwups at the router table. The result was only two spots where it was obvious that the router guide had slipped.
The backs were bent lamination, the sides of which were squared up so that the sides of the backs could be cut square and put on the drill press square, one side of the lamination mold was used to cut the backs of the seat and footrest to match the back rests. Everything is held together with decorative brass bolts and brass barrels that screw into the wood, with the seat and footrest held in place by friction and the backrests and bottom brace being slightly narrower creating tension.
The finish was 2 coats of tung oil sanding to 400grit and topped with spar varnish figuring it will get lots of abuse and be covered in food and drink. This was my first time using it and I discovered that I need a lot more practice. I clearly have too dusty a house with too much pet hair despite constantly vacuuming with a hepa filter constantly. Both it seems are incredibly attracted to wet varnish which also likes to run all over the place; attempts to avoid getting too close to the edge resulted in drips and bare spots. Thinning it 20% with mineral spirits did eliminate this as it cut the drying time to 2 hours reducing contamination and also allowed the edges to be snuck up on with less dripping which was easier to wipe off.
-- --Rev. Russ in NY-- A posse ad esse