Working weekends a friend and I built our roll top desks from scratch. Always wanting a roll top desk we decided that if we worked on our own we would never get one done but combining our tools and efforts we could accomplish it.
It took us three years only working on weekends and excluding the summer since my friend golfed every weekend. We stated from scratch with rough wood. I used oak and he used cherry wood.
We did use a pattern for the basic measurements but it was a secretary’s desk so we had to change everything. The drawer areas where too narrow for the computer to fit into so we widened the drawer area as well as making it deeper again to accommodate the PC. Probably the most difficult change was the top portion. The original design had the top tapering back quite quickly and then raising up. Needless to say we could not fit a CRT (all there was at that time) into it. We raised the top by at least 10” and brought it way forward and minimized the curvature. We used a lot of cardboard templates to check the fit. Obviously now with flat screen monitors we have tons of room on top! I finished it with many coats of Tung oil. This was a long project and one of the most rewarding projects that I have ever made.