|Project by harry1||posted 11-20-2012 06:14 AM||2514 views||17 times favorited||26 comments|
I mentioned when I replied to the bottle balancer that Jim Jakosh recently posted that I had been struggling with drilling a hole at an angle. Jim showed a jig that he had made for this purpose so I set about making something similar. It worked, but it was very slow going with a lot of heat generated, this led me to think of an easier way to produce a working bottle balancer. Because this was an experiment, I didn’t produce one of my usual photo-shoots.
This final working model ended up being made from an off-cut of Melamine coated MDF 4” wide and 9.5” long by just 5/8” thick. I drilled a 40mm hole perpendicular to the surface with it’s centre 2” from the top. Using a 45° bearing bit in the table, I routed a chamfer on both sides. The bottom was cut at 35° and the fancy edge was also routed on the table. The red was wood dye and the rose a transfer as used by kids as mock tattoos. Unfortunately I applied it whilst the lacquer was still tacky, a BAD idea, it took all the sparkle out of it. I have tested many different bottles, sizes, shapes and weights with surprisingly perfect results.
-- Harry, Western Australia