|Project by GlennsGrandson||posted 11-19-2012 06:26 PM||1089 views||1 time favorited||7 comments|
This is the first mallet I’ve made. It isn’t going to win any prettiest mallet of the year award but it does what needs to. I’ve always wanted to make one but never thought that I had the time… I had some new forstner bits that I needed to try out. I had just bought an oak dowel for the workbench that I am working on and I did not need all of it. Hmm…extra dowel, new forstner bits, chunk of ash on the floor…
1” oak dowel with a 3/8” oak cross dowel through the middle for extra support. Head is ash. Finished with medium walnut Danish oil.
Just decided to post it so those of you who were like me and wanted a wooden mallet and kept putting it off, just grabs some scraps and do it!
Last picture is of my Bailey #4 that I fixed up being put to work on my new workbench in progress (ash and purpleheart). Flattened up the bottom of the plane (about three hours on a piece of granite), the frog, and gave it a good sharpening. I was just trying to take my workbench top down to “kind of flat”. I am taking it to a 48” sander at a local sawmill tomorrow to make easy work of things (if I had a #7 or #8 I may have been inclined to do it that way but I haven’t found a decent one for a decent price yet).
Thanks for looking
-- Grant - S/N Dakota