|Project by Thatcher||posted 11-17-2012 11:48 PM||3600 views||3 times favorited||5 comments|
This project was inspired by LJ Shelly_b ‘Sliding door cabinet’ based on woodsmith plans. Thank you Shelly!
The starting point was a sloppy pegboard holding random stuff. Then I put a shelf above it to hold boxes of screws and other things. Fortunately I over built the shelf so I was half done when I got the inspiration to make it into a cabinet.
All I had to do was complete a box under the shelf to the depth that was convenient, about 7” determined by matching lumber on hand. Make a pegboard frame and figure out how to slide it side to side and past the two ends so it could be wider than half the pegboard behind.
When done I had a shelf under the pegboard getting the screws down for easier access, a shelf above that in the bottom of the box for my mom’s hand plane and my oversized bit box (project#1). Plus 50+% more peg board space.
The siding mechanism works OK but takes a bit too much effort so an upgrade to some sort of rollers is in the future. It was a bit tricky to get the dowel in exactly the right location to keep the peg board flush to the three sides of the box and the bottom of the top shelf. I ended up with 1/4 to 1/2” room on top when I was trying for about 1/8”. But for an initial effort and to keep the whole thing in wood and materials on hand, I’m very OK with it.
The first picture is the finished project. The second picture is the ‘before’ picture. The others are the parts and pieces. The third shows the sides and bottom added to make the box. I’d been careful enough with the top shelf and the peg board that it came out square. The forth shows the pegboard edged, set in to the boards about 3/4” into slots routed out on the table saw. Cuts didn’t come out in the center of the board so was just careful to keep the four sides faced the correct way. Edging was from a pallet I got from work and had put through the thickness planner. So it came out nice and even. Just used a bead of good wood glue and four nails to assemble.
The fifth picture shows the dowel rail and the slider above. I didn’t have a router bit that fit the dowel curve so I just routed (again with the table saw) a bunch of channels at different depths and was startled to find that it slide pretty well. The last picture shows the peg board slide past the right edge giving full access inside. I decided to use the back side of the peg board for contrast and because the other side had some blemishes. All materials were on hand in the workshop, mostly from Home Depot cull lumber section over the months.
Thanks for looking.