|Project by TheDane||posted 11-17-2012 10:18 PM||1312 views||0 times favorited||11 comments|
When we moved into the new old house, the previous owner left me a ‘gift’ of sorts … there was a chunk of a log about 12” in diameter on a shelf in the garage. He was not a woodworker or turner, so I’m guessing it was destined for the fire pit.
This one kind of threw me for a loop. The other half was pretty punky, so I had to turn off quite a bit of wood before I got into something solid enough. On this one, I was into good wood almost as soon as I got the bark off, but there was a problem … three voids about a half inch long (each) near the pith on one side.
I decided to try to save the piece, so I mixed up a little 5 minute epoxy and poured it into the voids. The first batch didn’t fill it, so I mixed up more, poured, then mixed more, etc. Then I noticed epoxy running all over the bench! There was a small void on the opposite end of the path, and epoxy was running through it like I was pouring it into a funnel. I patched the small void with duct tape and continued until the three on the other end were full, then put it aside to cure for about a month. When I resumed work on hollowing it a few days ago, I hit a banjo-shaped pool of cured epoxy inside about an inch in. I debated parting it off right below the voids, thus getting rid of the pith, but that would have given me a bowl just under 2 1/2” high. I decided to keep the voids and the pith instead, yielding a bowl that is just under 8” in diameter and 3 1/2” high.
I sanded it to 800 grit, finished it with Mahoney’s Walnut Oil and buffed with the Beall System. BTW … I love this finish. Once you touch it, it is so soft it almost says “Touch me again!”.
I’m not positive which species it is, but the resident expert in my turning club says it is sugar maple.
-- Gerry -- "I don't plan to ever really grow up ... I'm just going to learn how to act in public!"