|Project by RaggedKerf||posted 11-16-2012 10:10 PM||1061 views||0 times favorited||4 comments|
So this here is my first shop-made mallet. I started out with grand designs and called it Mjolnir. Well, if you read my blog, you’ll know that dream was shot down and died a flaming death. What I did was pulll from the burning wreckage a very usable (so far) and not too shabby looking mallet, now named Kroktskaft.
Click here to see all the gory details on my blog.
I think the picture is pretty self explanitory. It’s a mallet.
I used a piece of store-bought hickory (3/4” x 4” x 48”) and cut out the pieces. I intended to make the popular one that is filled with lead shot, etc., but opted to just make it solid, instead. I used glue and in the middle, where I got jumpy and over cut the parts, I used some screws to hold things together.
It was a learning experience more than anything. I learned to slow down and more importantly, trust my abilities for good or ill. I didn’t trust myself and nearly wrecked the whole thing.
In the end, she works and works well so I’m happy, even if she ain’t the prettiest thing out there. Next time…
-- Steve http://vaughtwoodworks.wordpress.com