|Project by John's Woodshop||posted 11-14-2012 03:13 PM||2628 views||15 times favorited||36 comments|
My daughter asked for a hope chest for her 16th Birthday that is coming up in December. I can’t believe I managed to get er done. The wood is some Ambrosia Maple that I got from an ad on another woodworking site a few years back for 40 cents a board foot.
The finish began with a wiping down of the case and lid with mineral spirits, and after that dried, one coat of Zar #117 Honey Maple Oil Based Stain, and then 5 coats of Minwax Wipe on Poly (Clear Gloss).
My Daughter has not seen the finished Hope Chest, but she was involved in all the design decisions, and she picked out the finish. She picked the boards for each panel. This was a lot of fun to build as it was my first attempt at a dovetailed case.
Thanks for looking!
-- John -- Racine, WI -- Woodworking..."It's not just a Hobby, it's an Adventure"