|Project by Nighttripper||posted 11-13-2012 03:09 PM||644 views||0 times favorited||3 comments|
My wife wanted a simple box for her makeup. I’ve been reading up a lot on finishing and decided to keep the design and joinery as simple as possible, and rather focus on finishing.
I used poplar, with CN Bloch Control, a 50/50 combo of GF Antique Cherry & Shaker Maple Water based stain, and a Topcoating of Arm R Seal.
Everyhting went pretty well until I decided to get cute and try to rub out the finish to 2000 grit and Wax it. I ended up going through the topcoat, and now the box looks “distressed.” I learned to rub out poly I should have used a full strengh poly and not wiping poly, and that I would have needed significantly more curing time.
Oh well, I learned a ton and my wife is pretty happy.