|Project by DiakosUCF||posted 11-13-2012 01:54 AM||2044 views||4 times favorited||5 comments|
It’s been a while since I’ve built and posted anything but now that the weather has cooled a bit here in Florida I’m back out in the garage kicking up some saw dust. I built a pair of nightstands and needed a headboard to go with them. This is something I drew up quick one night and ran with it. I wanted it to be a floating panel type look.
Redwood burl veneer, book matched and mirrored, wrapped in walnut. Walnut legs and rails with cherry balusters, I guess we can call them that. All joints are mortise and tenons, a total of 28. This is the first time I’ve worked with M&T’s. Used the drill press to remove most of the waste and chiseled out the rest. Very glad I took my time and measured everything out. It would stink to get to the glue up and find out something is misaligned. Each of the leg and rail joints is pinned with a 1/2” poplar dowel. I figured the contrasting wood would add a little pop to the final look. Added the additional pin on the top and sides just to be artsy.
Also my first time creating a veneered panel. Since I don’t have the capability to press the entire thing I once I had to do each piece separately. I “borrowed” someone’s idea off here and made my version of a veneer press. Pressed each panel to 3/4” MDF and then glued all four pieces to a plywood backing to create the final look. The seams are still slightly visible but nothing I can’t live with. If it bothers me enough I’ll put thin strips of walnut over the seams and say it’s all part of the design.
Finished with multiple coats of clear Shellac.
Now on to the next project.