|Project by Mike Gilbert||posted 11-10-2012 04:32 PM||3428 views||12 times favorited||11 comments|
This is the 2nd time I have built this blanket chest. The first one was a present for my wife, when our friends saw it they paid me to make them one. The first chest was maple and walnut. This chest has a maple frame and lid with red oak panels and a tongue and groove cedar lining. The screw holes in the frame were filled with padauk plugs. The panels were stained red with a mahogany stain and then finished with wiping varnish. This was my first time resawing lumber on a band saw and the book matched panels are also a first. The book matching on the center panel was the most evident; I was a little disappointed it was obscured a bit by the stain though. The most exciting part of this project for me was that it was my first time building something for money. I spent some time at the front end estimating my materials and labor, but at the end of the day I am sure the labor was done for a few dollars an hour. The project took me a total of 2 months, that was mostly time spent on weekends though. I took the pictures for this project myself using a role of white paper and a tripod for my digital camera. I purchased a work light to help with the lighting for the photos.