|Project by Jason Peabody||posted 11-10-2012 01:34 PM||2739 views||5 times favorited||6 comments|
This is the first “real” piece of furniture that I have made. This was my wife’s Christmas present last year (2011). We were tired of her spices taking up valuable cupboard space, especially since the jars can be so different in size. Some of them are only 1-1/2” tall, and others are 6” tall. So for that reason I made this with adjustable shelves that slide in and out of the dado slots in the vertical pieces. She can configure the cabinet however she wants, and group like-size jars together, or similar spices and seasonings together. She also really likes the fancy mushroom and garlic knobs :)
The cabinet is made out of red oak, which I purchased S4S as I did not have a thickness planer, or any hand plane skills, to dimension the wood at that time. The carcass is 3/4” thick material, the interior vertical pieces are 1/2” thick, and the shelves are 1/4” thick. All joints are mortise and tenon. The panels in the doors are 1/4” oak ply. I did not put a back on the cabinet, but I did rout a 1/8” deep rabbet around the back edge in case I want to put a thin sheet of material in to hide the wall behind. We really don’t care, though.
The stain is a minwax water-based stain that was a nightmare at first. Despite pre-conditioning the wood, it was very smeary and blotchy and uneven. After attempts to even out the color by applying more coats we discovered, in desperation, that laquer thinner would remove the stain from the surface and leave it in the pores. This made the grain really “pop” nicely, so we rubbed the entire cabinet down with laquer thinner, probably killing some brain cells in the process, and ended up with a decent-looking stain.
The finish is minwax polycrylic gloss. I like this OK, but if I had to do it again I might opt for regular polyurethane. The polycrylic gives the cabinet a weird tactile feel that I am not sure I like. Of course, in the future I might avoid stains all-together and just finish everything with a drying oil like tung or linseed, which really brings out the character of the wood nicely.
My next big project (once I finish building my table saw/router table cart per these plans) is to build a dining room table for us. I will try to blog about the progress of that more than I did for this cabinet in order to justify the server space I am taking up :)
Enjoy! Feel free to ask questions or leave constructive criticism!
-- When you begin to coast, then you are on the downgrade.