|Project by junipercanyon||posted 659 days ago||2143 views||5 times favorited||14 comments|
I made this table as a gift for my aunt and uncle. This summer they decided to completely gut out and redesign the interior of their horse/camp trailer. During one of my visits, I “suggested” in conversation that the plain white camper table needed replaced with a western themed table because it would really go well with the new blue pine cabinets, and would compliment the use of it since the back half of this is a horse trailer, while the front half is for living space. Well, that “suggestion” quickly turned into, “that sounds great, when will you have it done!!”
I just happened to have several of these neat looking pine slabs that I cut the last time we went camping together, and the size was just right to use in the limited space. I had some old horse shoes laying around, and a roll of rusty barbed wire on the wall behind where I had the slabs stacked, and decided to put them all together. I was in the middle of a few projects at the time, so I enlisted a little help from my beautiful wife to do the routing for the horse shoes and the barbed wire, and that evening we poured on the liquid glass bar top epoxy to cover the inlays. I really like how it turned out, and even more importantly, so did my aunt and uncle.
(edit): The pine was milled from the root base of a tree that looks to have been wind blown down. I’m assuming it was standing dead for quite some time before it fell down, because about 40’ or so was completely rotted away, and only the root base and about 6’ or so was still wood. My assumption is that the sap of the tree drained down to the base which preserved it from rotting. It was very sticky to work with, and would clog up sandpaper really fast. So my solution was to use a belt sander with 100 grit on it, and squirt the sandpaper with WD-40 about every minute or so to keep the sap from sticking to it….seemed to work pretty good, and I got a decent smooth finish with it.
-- Juniper Canyon Design