|Project by Swyftfeet||posted 11-07-2012 05:39 PM||1734 views||6 times favorited||13 comments|
This was my first project ever. I modeled it after one Cracknpop posted Link. I made a number of mistakes and learned a lot too. From a materials standpoint I probably would have picked a different material or finish than birch for the the panels, it yellowed a bit much for my taste but in for a penny in for a pound.
Mistakes or areas to improve and other tidbits of knowledge:
1. Board warping on me due to internal stress after final milling, I left them to sit way too long before glue up
2. When using cope and stick frame and panel construction, do all your milling at the same time, or take very good notes as to bit height down to a couple thousandths. Also mill some complementary pieces to use as push sticks to prevent tear out.
3. When doing lock miters: Pray. Seriously, I tried following the directions and just ended up getting it right by fugdering(I’m copy-writing it) around with the scrap cut-offs, Also be very gentle, the edges of the lock miter are brittle.
4. Never work when your not all there. Most of my mistakes were due to thinking I had it right when my mind was wandering.
5. After glue up, If you cut through your dowels, you get the chance to make bread board ends.
6. Mark your waste when doing breadboard tenons, if you cut one off you get to learn how to make a floating tenon.
7. If the screws that come with the hinges are longer than your workpiece is thick, you may want to think about it before going any further.
8. Free handing with a router table can be interesting.
9. Never using 80 Grit on a ROS for first run of sanding. I increased the grit gradually but could still see some swirls after I put on the seal a cell. Eventually bought a scraper and re-prepped the top. Turned out much better.
10. Arm-a-Seal and Seal-a-cell are idiot proof.
Anywho, comments and critiques welcome.