|Project by Michigander||posted 11-06-2012 02:02 PM||1432 views||6 times favorited||6 comments|
After a LONG gestation period, my TV cabinet was finally born! This is my second project, so much of the delays were due to ignorance of needed tools and expertise, but persistance pays.
The case is 3/4” cherry ply with the top made from 3 curly cherry boards. The bottom center section has a false back to hide the wires. The shelves are adjustable but I don’t like all the drill holes, so I probably would do fixed shelves if I was doing it again. The back is 1/4” ply cut to vent at top and bottom.
The cherry ply was very blotchy so I decided to use Charles Neil’s pre stain conditioner, which I put on everything. It blocked the blotches on the plywood, but the curls on the cherry top came through beautifully.
Following Charles Neil’s formula, I then put a coat of Transtint yellow water based dye, followed by a coat of General Finished Antique Cherry. Five coats of General Finishes water based urethane topped off the project. All finishes were applied before assembly. I just taped off the joints.
Next is a side table.
Have a good day.