|Project by USCJeff||posted 05-05-2008 05:47 AM||1306 views||0 times favorited||8 comments|
This box was a love hate thing. I actually had made a very similar box in the past for my Mom and I think I got a little comfortable when I attempted a second for my wife. I made some changes from my Mom’s which were new, but it was really a matter of lack of concentration that led to overall changes that saved it. The box was originally about 3” taller. As picture 3 shows well, the sides there was really no room for error installing the quad hinges. I blew out one of the dovetails the first time. That resulted in chopping off the 3” for another shot. It went OK, but you can see flaws around the hinges that irk me. Blum sells a template that is well worth purchasing if you install these often. Hadn’t used it, but a forum responded to my plea in that regard a while back.
The other issue was finishing. I wanted to try using wax as a last coat for the experience. I left white spots in unfilled pores everywhere. If only I’d read Flexner’s book prior. . . After some damage control I stuck with the Walnt Danish Oil and Poly coats and called it complete. Got good reviews from the wife, but man, it kicked my butt more than a basic box should.
-- Jeff, South Carolina