|Project by Jim Jakosh||posted 664 days ago||1435 views||4 times favorited||39 comments|
These are a some awls I turned to kill a little time in the shop over 3 days. I had these small pieces of pretty wood and I liked the first awl I made and use it every day so I though I’d make a few more- some are gifts.
The left one is walnut and myrtle wood, next is osage orange, next is sycamore and the last one is box elder
I started with some 3/4” brass and made all the ferrules. then I turned the shafts on the Southbend lathe and hardened them with torch. I turned each wood blank to fit the ferrule and glued them all on with epoxy. Then I turned the shape on each one. I drilled out the fronts with a 1/4” drill and epoxied in the shafts. I put a 1/4” plastic collet in my lathe chuck and held them by the shaft and finished off the bottom. Then I step drilled them with a 1/2” and then a 7/16 forstner bits to fit the Winchester 30-30 shells.
They are coated with clear matte spray finish.
-- Jim Jakosh.....Practical Wood Products...........Learn something new every day!! Variety is the Spice of Life!!