|Project by BadDavid||posted 487 days ago||881 views||0 times favorited||2 comments|
When my daughter say please…. It is hard to say no.
My daughter has a few cats. All of them are very old and have trouble getting into an enclosed litter box. She needed something to hide a couple of open litter boxes. I went to a local store and found some unfinished kitchen cabinets that were damaged (missing a side or two).
Upon getting them to my workshop (aka my shed) I first cut the height down and I replaced/repaired the three sides with some nice #2 pine (1/4 inch thick). And then cut a top from #2 pine boards (3/4 inch thick) glued together with yellow glue.
I have made two (the second one is curing as I type) and I have spent ~20 hours of my time. In all fairness my tool selection is limited (but growing with each new project, I am also not counting the time twiddling my thumbs waiting for coats of paint/sealant to dry).
The cabinets were originally valued at $150 but since they were both damaged (and I am a very frequent customer at this store :-)) I was able to get them for $50 a piece. The additional wood, paint and sealant was ~$50.
A lot cheaper than buying two and shipping would cost (I think). Cheers.
-- BD, where bad wood finds a home. Va