Now that I have a lathe, my miserable excuse for a mallet just had to get retired. I turned this out of a 12/4 off cut I got for nothing at the mill. I like my mallets on the chunky side, so this one is pretty long (about 12 1/2 inches) and I left the handle thick. Due to some carpel tunnel issues, my hands cramp up quite easily when I grip things too hard, so the thick handle really helps. It’s not quite heavy enough, so I am going to bore a hole in the middle of the head and fill it full of lead, then tap a brass cap over the hole. I over sanded some spots on the lathe and it is taking finish weird (danish oil). A few more coats should do the trick.