|Project by Ben||posted 05-03-2008 02:56 PM||1755 views||8 times favorited||7 comments|
Here is a bed a built for my wife and myself last summer.
Although inspired my many other beds I found, I used my own design. Google sketchup was of great value in this. I was not only able to make the proportions look right, but to also make sure I accounted for the size of our mattress and the physical constraints. My goal was to make the bed compliment the two bedside tables that I had previously built (They can be seen in the picture). Those tables had a padauk top and a hard maple base. Ultimately I decided to build the bed out of maple and include little “plugs” out of padauk.
The bed is finished with lacquer. It was my first attempt to spray a finish on – and I’m happy with the results.