|Project by glue4you||posted 10-29-2012 11:50 PM||1181 views||2 times favorited||2 comments|
this is the first time in years that I managed to start in time with my Christmas projects. I saw electrically illuminated picture frames on the web and decided to make one using tea lights instead. The frame is made from an old noticeboard that has been taken down by our caretaker. It already had a recess where the cork panel used to be, I used miter joints and glue to fit it together … and woodfiller :-)
The candle board is cut at an angle (10 degrees) so that the frame leans back a bit. It’s fastened with pocket screws and glue from underneath.
While my first idea was to use some translucent paper and silhoutte shapes of Santa, Rudolph …. I finally used a colored transparency behind plexiglass inside the frame.
After messing up the finish with some old stuff from the back of my paint depot I sanded it again and put on a coat of bee wax.
The concept is OK. I used a pretty reddish kind of Santa motive which gives it a warm look. The last photo doesn’t do justice to the real experience. And as always I had nothing but my mobile phone at hand. A few hours later my prototype was gone … someone liked it a lot.
I’ll have to batch out a bunch of these. I might change the way the transparency gets fixed to the back. Instead of screwing the stuff on I might find a way to just drop in the transpareny into a slot. This way I can change the picture according to the time of year.
Keep the Christmas projects coming.
-- Alex ----- Bavaria in Germany