|Project by Rb12||posted 10-29-2012 at 07:29 AM||1117 views||6 times favorited||14 comments|
I am about done with Stage 2 of 3 in redoing my living room. It was a nice room but lacked some basic things like overhead lighting, storage, had some wall damage, etc. So I basically saw it as a blank slate when I bought the house. We didn’t need the room before, but now after 2 kids and giving up my office as a spare bedroom, I decided to start my buildout here, which will be a kids play space (albeit over the top) until they are old enough and then it will become an office/study/library.
So last year I started by having the recessed lights put in and then covered the ceiling damage with the coffers. They are about 6” deep, made of poplar screwed to 2×4s bolted to the ceiling. I also decided to redo the casing on the door almost entirely out of scrap that I had sitting around. This was all stage 1. In putting up the ceiling I built in a soffit so I could do cabinets and bookshelves along one wall.
I am wrapping up stage 2 now which are the cabinets. While I have built my share of furniture in the past, this was the first time building cabinets from scratch as well as doors. Cabinets are furniture grade plywood (birch I think) and the edging and doors are clear pine and poplar. White was the wife’s color of choice (actually the entire project was predicated on it being white… and she is the boss so that made that decision easy). Everything was primed and then I sprayed 2 coats of semi-gloss paint on everything to give it a consistent shiny finish. I was told I could only build the cabinets if “they looked like they were bought from the store”. My wife is very frank ;-) anyway, she approves of the outcome. The center area will have a bank of 4 drawers. I have the faces finished but need to build the carcasses and mount them. This was also my first attempt at doing fluted columns which I also think came out quite well.
Stage 3 will be building out the bookshelves in between. I plan to space them with fluted columns and arches over the top. That will be over the winter when I have more time without family in and out.
This was my first big tablesaw project since replacing my 30-year old Delta contractor saw with a Jet Proshop as well. Also using the miter gauge retro-fit with an auxiliary fence. Very impressed with this tool. It really made the project “easier” I guess is the right term… maybe more consistent is the better term. It really allowed me to get a solid, consistent, repeatable cut so that all the door parts, cabinets, etc were uniform in their build.