|Project by 72hw||posted 10-28-2012 11:58 PM||10128 views||13 times favorited||8 comments|
So I made a very rudimentary box joint jig last weekend – nothing more than a fence with a bit of 5/16” steel for an indexing pin glued into it. Did it work? Very well in fact – especially when you consider I am very new to the whole woodworking thing and this was my first jig ever!
But was I satisfied?
Did I seek advice or make drawings or follow a plan for my second iteration of the thing?
But here it is, and it seems to work quite well. I must make mention that I have a Super-Craptastic Craftsman router table. This is the one you can find at OSH or Sears on sale for like $100 that includes a router. You know, the one that comes with a miter gauge slot that fits nothing but the crappy miter gauge they supply. Router itself seems nice enough, but the table has had me wishing for a larger garage since I first used it. (We still have yet to learn cars live outside!)
Anyways, I used the crappy miter gauge guide for the rail on my jig/sled for the box joint cutter, (See pic #3) and cannibalized a featherboard that also does not fit my router table for the yellow knobs shown in picture 2. I decided to make the fence adjustable since everyone always asks about adjustability when jigs like this are posted. (Please ignore the sloppy slot routing job shown in picture 2!)
Took me some thinking to get everything right, but it seemed to work out all right. If I want to cut different sized box joints all I need to do is create another fence capable of holding a different insert for the indexing pin – other than that the adjustable fence works great. I can align for width of the pins ans well as make sure the fence is square.
At least as square as I can get it on the Uber-Budget-Table I am stuck with for the time being…
Thanks for looking!
-- “Weird heroes and mould-breaking champions exist as living proof to those who need it that the tyranny of 'the rat race' is not yet final.” ― Hunter S. Thompson