|Project by Norris||posted 10-28-2012 09:23 PM||1651 views||1 time favorited||6 comments|
My wife and I were looking for a new entertainment center, but none of the ones we found in our area seemed to fit the bill. After searching for a few months, I spent some time on sketch-up to try and articulate what we were really looking for. As I got more familiar with the program, I spent some time to fine tune the the sketch to include actual dimensions and some simple joinery. At the end of the day, I had what I considered a fairly workable set of plans, so I decided to tackle the project myself instead of spending more time searching.
I kept the design simple so I could complete the work with the few tools I had available. I borrowed my Dad’s miter saw to cut the framing pieces to length. Mortise and tenon joints were rough cut with a Dremel router and cleaned up with a hand chisel. I used a friend’s band saw to shape the corbels and cut the side slats to the right width. The table surface and the cabinet base and sides were cut from a single piece of 3/4 oak ply with enough material remaining for the internal shelf. I purchased the doors as unfinished blanks. Everything was sanded and finished with Minwax Red Oak stain and 3 coats of satin wipe-on poly. The tabletop got a few extra coats.
This was my first woodworking project since 7th grade shop class, so needless to say, there was quite a bit of learning involved. There are several places where I know I could have done better work, but all things considered, I think it came out pretty well.