|Project by Adrian A||posted 10-23-2012 07:37 PM||23697 views||21 times favorited||13 comments|
I figured it was about time to start sharing some of my projects around the shop. Here’s a recent one.
4×4 Douglas Fir (Home Depot – $60)
3/4” Galvanized Pipe (Lowes- $100)
Spax Lag Bolts & extra 2×4 (Home Depot $20)
Total Cost $180 before tax
I originally had a lumber cart that I had made from plans, the popular one with plywood on one side, scraps on the other, and wood down the middle. It worked great, but I wanted to save some floor space in the garage. Im trying to setup my shop less mobile, and more stationary. So I sold it to make this one.
Started out by marking each 4×4 every 12” down the center and making a pen mark. This is where I would drill the holes for the pipe. Since 3/4” Galvanized pipe has an Outside Diameter of 1.05” I wanted something just under. I tried 1” forstner bit, but it was just too tight to hammer in the pipe. I went to woodcraft and found a 26mm bit at woodcraft which measures 1.02. And this was the perfect tightness.
Drilled those holes at a 4degree angle on the drill press. I setup a fence on the drill press to make sure each hole would be done exactly the same on each 4×4 post.
I bought 10 foot sections of pipe at lowes, and they were nice enough to cut them into 17” lengths. After pounding 3.5” inches into the posts, this would give me 13.5” of lumber rack space. I could of gone longer, but my garage door was in the way since i wanted it close to the corner of my garage.
I went home and took out the hammer and started banging them in… after about 3 went in I decided I didnt want to pass out in exhaustion. I went next door and borrowed a sledgehammer. Took about 3 hits, and they were good. Then marked out where the wall studs were so I knew where to hang the posts.
I used a car jack to hold them in place while i lag screwed into the top and bottom plate. and also 2 other lag screws in the middle of the posts. I did the first 2 posts that way, but when I got to the 3rd post I pushed the post to the ceiling and the pipes didnt line up horizontally. I was using a long level to check they were even across. Well I forgot about the tilt in my garage floor, and didnt properally give me a little slack on the first 2 posts. So I had to REALLY use my car jack to raise the next few posts so it would all be level. This of course made my ceiling raise a little in that corner, but luckily its just attic space above my workshop so it didnt matter, and you cant visually see. So remember to leave slack on your first few poles.
I finished it off by putting a 2×4 across the top screwed into the posts, and into the ceiling joists for cantilever support.
It is crazy solid, maybe a little overdone, but it works great!!!!
Thanks for checking her out :)