|Project by Garth Kay-Hards||posted 10-23-2012 12:41 AM||2145 views||7 times favorited||7 comments|
I thought I would share a project I dreamed up some years ago. Woodworkers are creative people and I believe God put something of creativity in all people, whether they think so or not. This was one of my creative moments when we had chopped some branches off the big camphor tree in the garden which was causing problems with the 11Kv power lines in the front of our property. We were still in South Africa then – we’re now living with my son and family in Melbourne Australia.
I had put aside a number of logs that I could use in the lathe from which I produced bedside lamp and bowls from. These made great Christmas presents for the kids. They also make great memories of the past times.
I had seen a plexiglass variant of this serviette (paper napkin) holder and decided to turn out a wooden one of my own. So with no plans, and just pictures in my head pieced this together. Basic measurements were – just hold a piece in place and say, “that’s about right” – and then cut it to that size.
The base, sides, back and hinged weight are 1cm thick. and made a little larger than the local serviette packs in the supermarket. I only had my table saw to cut up the camphor logs and so the plank widths were pretty narrow and the base, as you can see is 3 glued and clamped strips (no fancy joints-sorry guys).
The size of the back was determined by the packs of serviettes. I made it take a whole new pack. Allow 1cm for butting and glueing against the base.
The sides kind of evolved. I had the idea of making them high enough to allow for the dowel hinge. I used two pieces to span the length of the base plus the 1cm back, and to allow for the 1cm base. (so the base lies inside the back and the two sides). Then I played with pencil designs on one of the sides until I thought I had a good shape and then using a coping saw I cut it out. I finished of the curved scroll lines using a V carving chisel. If you look carefully at picture 3 you’ll notice that the coping saw cut allows for the 1cm base edge. It gives the illusion that the scroll is on top of the base. The holes for the hinge dowels were accurately measured and drilled before I did the scroll work.
Then the top was also cut out with a coping saw and the decorative grove carefully cut in using the V chisel.
I had decided not to use any scews or fasteners so only white cold glue is used.
I turned the ball and dowels on the lathe and fitted the ball to the end of the lever.
In order to fit (and maybe to be able to remove) the weight lever I did not glue these two dowels. I left them protruding slightly so that they could be pulled out if necessary.
The whole project was sanded down to take a clear polyurithane finish.
Then for my final touch I decided to personalize the project by sticking a label on the back. After playing around with the a computer print (on standard computer paper) I found that the paper absorbed the polyurithane finish very well and I placed the label onto the wet varnish and aplied more varnish over it until it went almost transparent, but showing the printing quite well.
It was a fun project which only took a few hours to make, and it has become a great piece on the dining room table. Folk have asked where we got it and we point them to the label on the back.
As I said earlier, the great thing with these sort of projects is that they bring back lots of lovely memories.