|Project by Mike||posted 10-20-2012 03:00 PM||7237 views||7 times favorited||5 comments|
This is my first shot at my own. I am thinking about changing the striker but I will see if I need to after a few windy days.
I made them from 1” EMT Steel conduit (about $7) that I found at the big Blue Box store. Using a wire wheel I cleaned off all the gunk that was on the pipe. The disk, striker, and sail are made from walnut. All of the chimes are hung with nylon rope from eye hooks. Three chains holds everything up.
I was absolutely floored that these sound so nice. I was expecting them to chime, but not to sustain the notes so long. If your interested in the lengths of the chimes (C6 → C7 scale), I used this chart located at An Engineering Approach to Wind Chime Design
Overall the project took about six hours. I think if I hadn’t had to clean the pipes then it would have been around 3 to 4 hours instead.
-- look Ma! I still got all eleven of my fingers! - http://www.lepelstatcrafts.etsy.com - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCppWfrYGXCr5lm9uW-Fpqqw