|Project by Ben Griffith||posted 05-01-2008 05:30 AM||1483 views||3 times favorited||7 comments|
We ordered a new queen mattress (replacing a full) and all I had ready to put under it by the time it was delivered a few weeks later were the poplar support rails and slats. So for several months we had a very low bed. What a relief when it was finally done a couple weeks ago!
Mortise and tenon for the head and foot board, the slats are in grooves with spacers glued between them so they almost look like I cut 38 little mortises ;-), and the side rails and center support rail are held on with bed rail hardware from Rockler.
The legs, slats in the headboard, and the bottom horizontal board in the headboard (the one hidden by the mattress) all were from reclaimed red oak from a staircase railing that my in-laws replaced in their house. The finish is five coats of beige shellac followed by a coat of wax.
Oh, and if you look at my buddy icon you’ll see my son doing his part to help build the bed!