|Project by Safetyboy||posted 05-01-2008 04:02 AM||2802 views||0 times favorited||8 comments|
I built this bookshelf for my son for his room – kind of a hodgepodge design – I put a little drawer on the bottom for his “treasures”, doors to hide the cutter, and an open top for “display”.
I tried to make the style in line with his existing furniture (the chest on the left), and the finish to match it. I got pretty close, but I think I needed more red in it somehow. It’s hard when one is under the flourescent lights in my shop, and the other is more natural light in the room.
Lot’s of firsts on this project for me:
+ First time milling all the rough lumber
+ First time gluing up panels
+ First all solid wood project (‘cept for the plywood door panels)
+ First time trying to match an existing piece
+ First time using dye stain
Wood is soft maple, finish is water-based dye stain (Transtint dark mission brown), 2 sealer coats of shellac, & a bunch of wipe-on poly (satin).
I’m not sure I like working with the dye-stain – it’s tricky to use because it soaks in so fast, unlike oil stains.. it’s easy to get caught putting too much on…
-- -- Kevin in Mentor, Ohio