|Project by SugarbeatCo||posted 513 days ago||1002 views||5 times favorited||6 comments|
Here is the first of a run of ornaments for some local craft fairs that start next month. The top and bottom finials are Walnut and the bulb is Redwood Burl from Mendocino CA. The bulb is hollowed to roughly 1/8”. The finials are attached to the bulb with titebond 3 and a small tennon that fits the 7/8” hole in the bulb. I added a small eye hook to hang it, rather than drilling a hole through the top finial for ribbon or string, seems a little neater that way.I finished with Boiled linseed oil and then lacquer once the oil had cured. Ive seen hundreds made, and thought they seemed simple enough, and they are once you get the process down, but a challenge none the less. They keys are ratio and bulb shape. Ive noticed the more perfectly rounded shapes are harder than an oblong bulb, but that may just me personally. I had a hard time getting a perfect globe shape with figured wood.
-- Always one more tool away from being an excellent woodworker...