Craftsman Sliding Closet Doors, etc.

  • Advertise with us
Project by Steve Erwin posted 10-19-2012 02:47 AM 5200 views 11 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch

We live in a Cape Cod style house built in 1950. The main house is 1260 square feet. I pushed it to 1700 square feet by finishing the basement into our family room / home theater / computer area / bar / game room. But even so, it’s pretty tight and the closets are tiny.

So my brother and I kicked in the bedroom knee wall and we turned it into a 5’ deep x 14’ long closet. I built these sliding doors to make it all look nice and neat, continuing with the Arts & Crafts / Craftsman / Mission theme as is our preferred style.

The third photo is the remodel of the existing closet. It’s now her shoe closet… and even more of her clothes. But at least I got her to help build it! :)

And the 5th photo are shelves I put in the upstairs bathroom. There’s a nook to the left of the shower and in front of the toilet. So more storage options.

The big closet doors are made out of 6/4 red oak with 3/4” oak plywood panels. All mortise & tenon joinery. I think each door weighs 40-50lbs, so I bought 75lb rollers for the sliding door hardware.

-- I've been creating problems to solve since I was born.

10 comments so far

View ShaneA's profile


5547 posts in 1416 days

#1 posted 10-19-2012 03:05 AM

Really nice. Like to see ww and home improvements come together as one.

View NormG's profile


4756 posts in 1821 days

#2 posted 10-19-2012 03:09 AM

Great idea. I have a similar style home, I am planning to put drawers in the walls for storage

-- Norman

View Steve Erwin's profile

Steve Erwin

95 posts in 870 days

#3 posted 10-19-2012 03:26 AM

@NormG: Drawers was our first idea, too. But I stepped back for a minute and decided… “I really hate drawers for storing clothes.” :) Also, drawers have to open into the existing space of the bedroom. It’s crowded enough in there without having to leave room for drawers to open as well.

We have enough room behind my tall dresser for 36” long rubbermaid bins stacked 2 high the entire 14’ length of this closet. We keep off-season clothes in there, and someday we’ll probably hide the Christmas Presents in there too.

She’s got 5’ of clothes rod on her side, 5’ on my side, and bins throughout. For all of these reasons, we decided the closet was the way to go.

I told her we should have done a sister closet to match on the other side of the room, but she wouldn’t go for it. It really makes the room feel bigger, and if we were going to kick in another wall, she was going to have me raise the roof and put a big dormer in. OK! Just the one closet then. :)

-- I've been creating problems to solve since I was born.

View BenI's profile


331 posts in 996 days

#4 posted 10-19-2012 05:59 AM

Great looking use of space and design! Nice job

-- Ben from IL

View mloy365's profile


440 posts in 1948 days

#5 posted 10-19-2012 11:34 AM

Great design and craftsmanship! I am so glad my wife doesn’t know about this site.

-- Mike - Northern Upper Michigan

View lumberjoe's profile


2854 posts in 1066 days

#6 posted 10-19-2012 12:03 PM

You do some awesome work. Those doors came out great.


View Steve Erwin's profile

Steve Erwin

95 posts in 870 days

#7 posted 10-19-2012 01:11 PM

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

-- I've been creating problems to solve since I was born.

View pintodeluxe's profile


3719 posts in 1631 days

#8 posted 10-19-2012 07:39 PM

Nice use of space, and a project well done!

-- Willie, Washington "If You Choose Not To Decide, You Still Have Made a Choice" - Rush

View CaptainSkully's profile


1206 posts in 2376 days

#9 posted 10-31-2012 01:03 AM

Very nice! What finish did you use?

-- You can't control the wind, but you can trim your sails

View Steve Erwin's profile

Steve Erwin

95 posts in 870 days

#10 posted 10-31-2012 01:29 AM

@CaptainSkully: We’ve been using Minwax Oil-based English Chestnut stain for a close approximation of Stickley’s Onondaga finish coloring, followed up with a few coats of Minwax Wipe-On Satin Polyurethane. Sanding with 320 or 400grit between coats to get it as smooth as possible. Red Oak is tough because it’s pretty coarse.

On my Changing Table project I used a red oak pore filler before applying the stain and it came out beautifully. Initially it looked a little odd to my eye because I’ve only seen red oak in coarse texture for so long, but it’s a nice approach for table tops that need to be smooth.

-- I've been creating problems to solve since I was born.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics :: gardening showcase